Important financial information to all students

​​​The implementation of fee-free higher education, as announced by President Jacob Zuma in December 2017, and further communicated through DHET, will be done in close collaboration with all relevant Government and funding institutions, including NSFAS.

What does fee free higher education mean?
  1. If you are a first-time entering student, and your application for the 2018 NSFAS funding is approved, NSFAS will pay your 2018 student fees to TUT. 
  2. If you are an existing NSFAS funded student, your NSFAS loan will be converted to a grant (bursary) that does not need to be re-paid to NSFAS.
  3. If you are an existing student but are not a NSFAS funded student, you will need to pay your own student fees.
  4. Although the combined annual household income threshold to qualify for NSFAS assistance has been increased from R122 000 to R350 000, fee free higher education only applies to new, first time entering students (not returning students) in 2018. 
​What is a combined gross annual household income?

This is the total income earned by the student and his or her direct family (spouse, mother, father or legal guardian) in the form of wages, salaries, grants, pensions or other sources of income, including rental or business income.

The gross combined annual household income (income before deductions) may not exceed R350 000 per annum.

Who should apply?

  1. If you did not apply for the 2018 NSFAS funding and you are a first time entering student for an undergraduate qualification with a firm offer of space based on their final Grade 12 results. The student must identify him/herself to the university as coming from a family earning a combined gross household income of up to R350 000 per annum.

    Once the relevant information, including the certified ID copies of your legal guardians, parents or spouses and the certified copies of proof of income have been provided by the student to the Financial Aid Office and financial eligibility has been confirmed, the student will be funded. 
  2. Applicants who were declined a place to study at TUT, should submit an application the Central Application Clearing House (CACH) accessible through, the toll-free number 0860 356 635, or through a SMS with name and ID to 49200. NSFAS will liaise directly with CACH so that the funding follows the student, regardless of where an applicant eventually registers. 
Who should not apply for fee free higher education?
  1. Students whose family has combined annual household income is more than R350 000 per annum.
  2. Students who have already applied for and qualify for NSFAS funding for the 2018 academic year.
  3. Students who have previously received NSFAS funding or who qualify for NSFAS funding for the 2018 academic year.
  4. Students who have previously registered for any formal qualification at any higher education institution (whether funded or not). This includes all re-registering TUT students.
  5. International students (any student without a South African ID).
Additional information
  1. The Gap Grant funding for students over the R350 000 income threshold but below the R600 000 maximum, will have their 8% fee adjustment paid by DHET.
  2. Please note that new students must apply for the Gap Grant. Existing students need not apply, except if their circumstances have changed. 
  3. FTEN (first time entering) students with a combined income above R350 000 but below R600 000, must complete the Gap Grant Application Forms prior to Registration for 2018. The forms will be available on​ and/or at any of the campus Student Debtors office. These students will pay the 2017 fees.
  4. Parent/guardians of self funded students who don’t want to apply for the Gap Grant, must complete the Parent/Guardian Declaration Form available on and/or at any of the campus Student Debtors office.
  5. Students who want to apply for the Gap Grant should including the certified ID copies of their lega​l guardians, parents or spouses. The form should also be signed by the parents or legal guardians before registration. 
  6. Students with a gross combined household income above R600 000 will be responsible for all their fees. 
  7. NSFAS qualifying students with outstanding university debt will be allowed to register. The funding process for such students will be handled by the Department of Higher Education and Training, after due diligence has been undertaken. 
  8. Students who qualify for NSFAS funding, whether FTEN or continuing students, will not be required to pay the minimum payment upon registration themselves. All other students will be required to pay the minimum payment, as specified in the TUT Students’ Rules and Regulations, upon registration. 
  9. All returning students with outstanding debt will be allowed to view their results and register in 2018, but will be required to make arrangements through the University’s Acknowledgement of Debt (AoD) process. AoD arrangements should be made at any of the TUT campuses.
Please click on the below link to access the following: