Prof Anish Kurien, Acting Director for the TUT Hub of the Artificial Intelligence Institute of South Africa (AIISA).
This is the 2nd edition of the Future of AI series. The purpose of the event is to host and interview a diverse panel of experts to provide insight on:
- Artificial Intelligence Institute of South Africa
- Navigating the Future of AI: Opportunities and Challenges
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Business and Society
- The Ethics of AI: Balancing Innovation and Responsibility
- The Role of AI in Transforming Industries: Opportunities and Risks
- The Future of Work: How AI is Reshaping the Job Market
Prof Kurien’s presentation will focus on providing an overview of Artificial Intelligence Institute of South Africa, the partners that were involved in the setting up of the institute, namely the Department of Communications and Digital Technology (DCDT), the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) as well as the University of Johannesburg (UJ), its mandate, and a brief overview of some of the AI projects currently taking place at TUT.
Prof Kurien has been the Node Director of the French South African Institute of Technology (F’SATI) at TUT, a French-South African bilateral collaboration programme between South African and French partner Universities. He has also been responsible for Postgraduate programmes, Research & Innovation in the Department of Electrical Engineering. Anish has been managing the Telkom Centre of Excellence programme at TUT since 2010. In 2022, he was appointed as a TETA Research Chair focusing on the development of Agile and Open solutions for the Transport Industry. In June 2023, he was appointed as the Acting Director of the TUT hub of AI-ISA.