Directorate of Curriculum Development and Support (CDS)
Curriculum Development and Support (CDS) is one of four directorates within Higher Education Development and Support (HEDS) at the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT).
CDS ensures that the TUT curricula meet the requirements of the Council on Higher Education (CHE), thereby complying with the minimum national standards. This focus provides strategic support for curriculum development at all seven faculties as well as for reviewing and developing accompanying policies at institutional level. This is complemented by a second focus on the professional development of staff by providing appropriate scaffolding and intervention for teaching, learning and assessment needs at faculties. In order to ensure the desired impact, CDS has appointed curriculum development practitioners at each of TUT’s campuses, namely, Arcadia, Arts, Ga-Rankuwa, Pretoria, Soshanguve North and Soshanguve South.
An outline of CDS’s services
• Ensuring overall curriculum development (planning, designing, implementing and evaluating).
• Reviewing higher education policies and sensitising staff to them.
• Assisting with development and revision of study guides.
• Overseeing the development of short learning programmes.
• Supporting and developing outcomes-based education.
Professional staff development
• Providing personal support and/or coaching for especially newly-appointed teaching staff.
• Offering induction programmes for teaching staff (Licence to Teach).
• Enhancing teaching, learning and assessment with technology.
• Overseeing the development of a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy.
• Supporting and developing service learning.
• Supporting and facilitating assessor training.
• Conducting research into teaching, learning and assessment.